Though there’s not a whole lot of new footage here there are a few new cuts and a couple of new lines of dialogue. Folks who watch the Walking Dead likely caught this last night on AMC, and now it’s up on YouTube courtesy of Paramount’s official G.I. Joe Movie YouTube channel.
Turns out we survived the past nine months without a G.I. Joe film, and as I look at my calendar, we are nearing the 6 week mark until G.I. Joe: Retaliation launches in 3D in the United States. See it again for the first time!
I will admit I was a bit taken aback at Toy Fair this year, with a visible and palpable lack of promotion for the upcoming film. Last year and in 2009 there were movie stars, front-page stories, movie clips…the whole ball of wax. G.I. Joe was front and damned center.
This year, the G.I. Joe presentation at Toy Fair felt tacked on to the Kre-O presentation, and besides some words of encouragement from Derryl DePriest, the film felt like more of an afterthought than the main promotional push. Instead of walls of figures and vehicles, we got seven new figures and a single new vehicle.
Now this is not meant to be a reflection on the toys themselves… from all appearances this will be a fantastic year for toys. The ultimate film versions of Duke, Flint, Roadblock and Firefly all look incredible. Wonderfully accurate old school versions of Storm Shadow, Cobra Commander, and Snake Eyes. Budo, Data-Viper and KWINN! And hey, I didn’t even mention the Tomahawk Eaglehawk. Very good stuff coming this year. But I won’t lie. The atmosphere was not as fired up and national coverage as it was in years past. I realize a lot of that has to do with the film delay, but when the coronation of a Pony princess on an animated cartoon gets more mainstream pub than a multi-million dollar Hollywood production? Damn right I’m going to say something about that.
Whether or not you agree with how G.I. Joe: Retaliation was treated at Toy Fair, though, the fact remains that it’s a new year and we have a ton of great looking product to look forward to. The film is hitting in just over six weeks and by all accounts looks to be awesome. We are on the verge of a potential tipping point in the G.I. Joe brand right now, and GeneralsJoes is riding that train all the way. As we lead up to the G.I. Joe: Retaliation film over the next six weeks, expect loads of content. Editorials, figure reviews, vehicle reviews, comic reviews, and heck… perhaps even a dio-story chapter or two. No promises. 😉
The movie is coming. The new toys are coming. The comic is getting revitalized. There’s a lot to look forward to over the next six weeks, hope you all are joining me for the ride.
Good morning, Joe fans! So another Toy Fair Hasbro Fan Event is behind us and as we all recover from the attack on our senses from the G.I. Joe Eaglehawk, I wanted to make sure everyone was aware of an exciting new custom contest being held over on JoeDeClassified.com and JoeCustoms.com.
The guys over there are asking for all of you talented customizers to work up a custom of an unproduced G.I. Joe toy. The rules are as follows:
Custom contest rules:
1. Customs may be figures or vehicles.
2. Any customs created for any prior contest, or that have been shown prior on the web are automatically disqualified. Customizers should submit a photo with their entry that shows their construction materials with any dated item (magazine, etc) created after the contest start date.
3. Customs must be of an unfinished Hasbro product (Rocky, for example). Anything that ever existed in any state of design is eligible. Please see the references at the bottom for further inspiration.
4. All entries are due no later than 15April2013.
5. All prize-winning customs become property of Joe Declassified, and will be auctioned off, with proceeds going to help support future Declassified endeavors. If contest winners do not wish to participate in the fundraising process, we will select the next highest rated customs to take their place.
6. No more than 3 custom entries per individual.
7. Entries MUST include real name, any online screen names, city and state of origin. All entry photos should be submitted to email@example.com. Please include no more than 10 photos per entry. Any questions or clarifications of contest rules should be sent to the same email address.
8. All judges and Joe Declassified staff are automatically disbarred from entry.
There are some stellar judges who are set to judge these entries as well… Fran from HissTank, Chris from JoeSightings, Fred from JoeBattleLines, Terry from YoJoe, staff of JoeCustoms and JoeDeClassified, and even John Warden himself from Hasbro will be taking part in judging! The owner and admin of a certain hack site will also be letting his 2 cents known. No, I do not take bribes, but anyone doing unproduced Sigma 6 toys will get 50 bonus points! 😉
The greatest thing about this contest, though, are the prizes! They are taking out all the stops in offering some fantastic prizes like a carded unreleased Wave 14 Storm Shadow, a full FSS set, and an SDCC Exclusive Jinx 2-Pack. Find out all of the juicy details over at JoeDeClassified.com and JoeCustoms.com. I cannot WAIT to see these entries!